''Guidance facilitates people throughout their lives to manage their own educational, training, occupational, personal, social and life choices so that they can reach their full potential and contribute to the development of a better society'' National Guidance Forum Report 2007. Leitrim Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service provide personal, educational and vocational guidance and information which supports learners to make informed decisions about their future. The service is impartial and takes a person-centred approach. What is discussed is treated with confidentiality unless a situation of danger is revealed or where the law requires the Guidance Counsellor or Information Officer to inform others.
WHAT IS INVOLVED FOR THE YOUNG PERSON?
The young person will meet with a qualified Guidance Counsellor for approximately 1 hour. There may be further follow up meetings as agreed with the young person and depending on their individual needs. The young person may avail of meetings with a Guidance Information Officer who provides impartial and accurate information on local, regional and national education and training opportunities. Where possible we request parental/guardian permission to attend the AEGS, however we recognise the young person’s right to provide his/her own informed consent to guidance. The service is available to young people over the age of 16 who are not currently registered or attending any training or education such as post primary schools, Youthreach centre, training centres etc.
- Leitrim - south
- Leitrim - north
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services
- Through other statutory services
- Through other community / voluntary service
- Under-18s need parental permission
- Young adults (18-24 years)
- Adults (25-64 years)
- Adults (65+ years)