Markievicz House, Barrack Street,, Sligo
Principal Social Worker
Service / Organisation:
Tusla Child and Family Agency
Description of main activities / services for children and families:
Tusla-Child and Family Agency Social Work department caters for families and children where allegations of abuse and neglect have been made.
Tusla - Child and Family Agency Social Work department caters for families and children where allegations of abuse and neglect have been made. The main task is to safeguard and protect children believed to be at risk of abuse and neglect. The service targets families and children only in level 3 to 4 of the Hardiker Model.
- Sligo town and environs
- Sligo - north
- Sligo - south, east and west
- Leitrim - Carrick-on-Shannon and environs
- Leitrim - south
- Leitrim - north
The Agency covers County Sligo, Leitrim and West Cavan.
Where service is provided
Where service is provided:
- Service provided at above address
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- Service provided in person's own home
Social Workers are based in three locations: Markievicz House, Sligo; Teach Laighne, Tubbercurry; The Health Centre, Carrick on Shannon. Social Workers can meet service users in local Health Centres or service users' homes.
How to access the service
How to access the service (referral pathways) :
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services
- Through other statutory services
- Through other community / voluntary service
Notes on referrals to the service:
Referrals to Social Work should be made on standard notification forms or a person self-refer.
Parental permission needed
Do young people need parental permission to use your service? :
- Under-16s need parental permission
When a child is abused/neglected the child can refer in person to Social Work Service. The case will be considered dependent on circumstances and Social Work Thresholds.
Age-range catered for
Age-range catered for:
- Early years (0-4 years)
- Primary school age (4-12 years approx.)
- Post-primary school age (13-18 years approx.)
- Young adults (18-24 years)
Do you specialise in any particular issue(s)?:
Child protection and welfare and disclosure work
Are counselling services regularly supervised? If so, please state what these arrangements are.:
What, if any, regulatory bodies are counsellors members of?:
Social workers are registered by CORU