Youth Action Project Sligo (YAPS) is a Garda Youth Diversion project. It works with 12 to 18 year olds in the Sligo/North Leitrim area who are involved in criminal or anti-social behaviour, or who are at risk of becoming involved in this behaviour.
Aims of YAPS:
- Identify young people at risk and plan and deliver intervention programmes.
- Direct young people away from conflict with authorities e.g. Gardai, courts, residents and community groups.
- Provide a safe place for young people to discuss issues important to them.
- Develop Gardai and community relationships.
- Provide support to those young people in need of emotional and developmental support.
Objectives of YAPS:
- To identify and work directly with the young people at risk of being in trouble with the law.
- To provide young people with skills and alternative ways to spend their time.
- To foster positive relationships between young people, local authorities, community groups and those in authority.
- Sligo town and environs
- Sligo - north
- Sligo - south, east and west
- Leitrim - north
- Service provided at above address
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- Service provided in person's own home
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services
- Through other statutory services
- Through other community / voluntary service
- Under-18s need parental permission
- Under-16s need parental permission
- Post-primary school age (13-18 years approx.)