Leitrim Youth Project is a project of North Connaught Youth & Community Services Ltd, funded by the Department of Children & Youth Affairs. The Project works with and for 7 - 18 year olds across the county in partnership with young people, volunteers and other organisations. We are committed to pioneering and sustaining quality youth work which enables young people to maximise their potential through their voluntary participation, offering them opportunities for learning, achievement and support.
Main Services provided include:
- Support with setting up youth clubs, cafes and projects, policies, insurances, garda vetting, committee training, programme planning etc,.
- Training: we offer induction, child protection, leadership and skills days.
- Youth information, administration help, assistance with grant application.
- Teen Between support service.
- Promoting participation in inter-club activities, regional and national programmes and opportunities including games, hikes, discos quizzes.
- Running Summer Play Schemes - annual programmes of activities for young people in partnership with communities
- Organising exchanges with group in Northern Ireland, England and Europe.
- Issue based work in clubs, schools and communities on such topics as drugs, alcohol, challenging behaviour, bullying, mentoring etc.
- Development and networking with other agencies.
- Health promotion programmes - healthy eating, activity days etc.
- Adventure Projects, Drama Projects, Film and DVD Projects, Arts Projects.
- Junior leadership training for young people.
- Leitrim - Carrick-on-Shannon and environs
- Leitrim - south
- Leitrim - north
- Service provided at above address
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- Charge applies for some services / some services free
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other community / voluntary service
- Under-18s need parental permission
- Primary school age (4-12 years approx.)
- Post-primary school age (13-18 years approx.)
- Young adults (18-24 years)
Here4U is a listening service for teenagers that incorporates one-to-one support.