Tusla-Child and Family Agency Social Work department caters for families and children where allegations of abuse and neglect have been made.
Tusla - Child and Family Agency Social Work department caters for families and children where allegations of abuse and neglect have been made. The main task is to safeguard and protect children believed to be at risk of abuse and neglect. The service targets families and children only in level 3 to 4 of the Hardiker Model.
- Sligo town and environs
- Sligo - north
- Sligo - south, east and west
- Leitrim - Carrick-on-Shannon and environs
- Leitrim - south
- Leitrim - north
The Agency covers County Sligo, Leitrim and West Cavan.
- Service provided at above address
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- Service provided in person's own home
Social Workers are based in three locations: Markievicz House, Sligo; Teach Laighne, Tubbercurry; The Health Centre, Carrick on Shannon. Social Workers can meet service users in local Health Centres or service users' homes.
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services
- Through other statutory services
- Through other community / voluntary service
Referrals to Social Work should be made on standard notification forms or a person self-refer.
- Under-16s need parental permission
When a child is abused/neglected the child can refer in person to Social Work Service. The case will be considered dependent on circumstances and Social Work Thresholds.
- Early years (0-4 years)
- Primary school age (4-12 years approx.)
- Post-primary school age (13-18 years approx.)
- Young adults (18-24 years)
Child protection and welfare and disclosure work
Social workers are registered by CORU