Task Forces were set up under the National Drug Strategy 2001-2008 to provide a response to illicit drug use and underage drinking problems.
Task Forces were set up under the National Drug Strategy 2001-2008 to provide a response to illicit drug use and underage drinking problems. Task Forces have representatives from government agencies, local authorities, community and voluntary groups. The Task Force’s primary role is to co-ordinate responses to local needs. NWRDATF was set up in 2003 and covers Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and North West Cavan.
The overall objective is "to significantly reduce the harm caused to individuals and society by the misuse of drug through concerted focus on supply reduction, prevention, treatment and research."
- Sligo town and environs
- Sligo - north
- Sligo - south, east and west
- Leitrim - Carrick-on-Shannon and environs
- Leitrim - south
- Leitrim - north
The Task Force have a remit for the entire North West region i.e Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal.
- Service provided at above address
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- Charge applies for some services / some services free
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services
- Through other statutory services
- Through other community / voluntary service
- No parental permission required
- Young adults (18-24 years)
- Adults (25-64 years)
- Adults (65+ years)